The overall objective of the course is to provide an overview of concrete design and help participants to: acquire a sound knowledge on how to use ACI Design Code 318-19 and interpret it, understand the elements of reinforced concrete design and behavior of structural concrete elements, identify and choose suitable floor systems as well as structural systems to resist gravity load and lateral loads, be able to design and analyze reinforced concrete members to resist single or combined effects of axial, torsion, shear and flexure. In addition, discuss case study and full design examples including, design drawings, shop drawings, specification, and site photos.
Day 1: Column Design
4.1 Introduction to column design
4.2 Axially loaded column – Tied column
4.3 Axially loaded column – Circular column
Day 2: Deep Beam Design
4.4 Introduction to slender column
4.5 Slender column
Day 3: Strut-Tie method
4.6 Introduction to biaxial bending column
4.7 Biaxial bending column
Day 4: Strut-Tie method
4.8 Introduction to shear wall design
4.9 Shear wall design
The following learning outcomes have been defined for the course
- Calculate factored load effects and select strength reduction factors for a given limit state when a group of load components is provided.
- Determine the appropriate location of slabs, beams, girders and columns for a given architectural layout and recognize and select the suitable floor system for a given span and loading
- Model the different types of loads acting on a structure and calculate the response to these loads.
- Apply the ACI Design Code in designing concrete structures.
- Check the adequacy and calculate the maximum load that an existing structural member can carry.
- Determine the required cross-section dimensions and longitudinal reinforcement in beams, one-way slabs, columns and footings for a given group of loads and material properties.
- Analyze and design reinforced concrete beam members subjected to torsion.
- Analyze and design reinforced concrete two-way slabs using different methods.
- Analyze and design reinforced concrete short columns under biaxial bending, analyze and design reinforced concrete slender columns of braced and unbraced structures.
- Determine the necessary size and spacing of stirrups/ties in beams and columns.
- Calculate the minimum development length of steel reinforcement in concrete to ensure adequate bond between the concrete and steel.
- Analyze and design reinforced concrete structural walls to resisting lateral loads.